What is Enterprise Content and Document Management System (ECM)? The strategies, methods and tools used to capture, manage, store, preserve, and deliver content and documents related to organizational processes. ECM covers the management of information within the entire scope of an enterprise whether that information is in the form of a paper document, an electronic file, a database print stream, or an email.
Enterprise Content and Document Management System (ECM) Benefits
1Controlled and improved content distribution
- Enabling content and documents sharing electronically with colleagues and clients over a network, by email or via the Web in a controlled manner.
- Preserve the intellectual capital and organizational knowledge by having content and documents centralized in a system.
- Less time is spent locating and retrieving content and documents as they can be retrieved electronically using search functions by any word or phrase in the document - known as full text search.
- Control over sensitive documents by controlling content and documents access for different groups and individuals.
- Audit trail of who viewed or modified content and documents and when.
- Easy back-up of content and documents for offsite storage and disaster recovery.
- Electronic versions of document greatly reduce the amount of storage space required by paper.
- Keeping archival versions of documents helps protect paper documents, which still have to be retained, from over-handling and keeps electronic documents in a non-proprietary and native format.
- A combination of security control, audit trails, archiving and disaster recover ensure that an organization is able to authenticate the validity of information stored and demonstrate compliance with regulations and requirements.
- The reduced time to complete processes improves the day to day operations of all functions within an organization, leading to an improved flow of information, an increased perception of staff in their ability to solve questions and tasks.
- Improved operations ultimately result in reduced cost and higher ROI.
- Microsoft SharePoint (Winodws)
- Docuware (Windows)
- Alfersco (Java)
- OpenKM (Java)